History of Damansara Heights
Updated: Jan 18
The location or rather the name “Damansara” can be traced back to when the then British Resident and land registrar, Sir William Maxwell mistook the spelling of the area “Damar Sara” during the implementation of Selangor Registration of Titles Regulation in 1891. By replacing the letter ‘r’ with ‘n’, and even wrongly merging the original two-word name, birthed the location called Damansara that we all know today. There are more than 25 neighbourhoods, roads and landmark buildings in Kuala Lumpur and Selangor that bear the name “Damansara”, one of them being the location of Bukit Damansara, also known as Damansara Heights.
Damansara Office Complex, also known as Kompleks Pejabat Damansara, from the 1970s.
The first office building built in Damansara Heights was Wisma Damansara, built in 1970 by Selangor Properties. This was followed by the Damansara Office Complex (Kompleks Pejabat Damansara) on Jalan Dungun in the early 1970s. At that time, the buildings would be home to several notable government offices like the local stock exchange (Bursa) and also Wisma UN. As the years went by, the buildings and landscape around were changed, such as how Wisma UOA II was built on the already demolished Wisma Socfin. With the addition of buildings such as Menara Milenium, Plaza Zurich and Manulife Tower, the area was set to be one of the most sought after commercial locations for businesses. Today, Kompleks Pejabat Damansara is currently undergoing its own refurbishment by Selangor Properties and set to become Damansara Heights’ next and only low-rise business park to face off against the ever-growing concrete jungle of the area. The power of The Five is coming to Damansara Heights. Stay tuned for more in our next blog.